[infinispan-dev] Let's stop with pull requests

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Thu May 31 10:30:30 EDT 2012

On 31 May 2012 14:57, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:
> On 31 May 2012, at 10:40, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>
> Seriously, I just think we can design the tests better.
>

> Are you referring to tests, or the test framework?  In any case, what do you
> have in mind?

I don't have anything specific in mind, nor I have a magic wand, I
just think that we shouldn't blame the tests, and that we have enough
smart minds to solve such problems when we want to.

We've had examples of tests relying on time/speed which were either
unreliable or just slow, and we have so far been able to successfully
improve them, in various ways.

Also, a while back we had a discussion on time measurement, and the
option to plug in a Clock service. With such a service we could move
the time back/forth/freeze during tests.
That's not the general solution of course.. but an example of how
things can be improved, either by working on the individual test or by
making Infinispan itself more flexible, to make testing easier.

It's not a technical problem, just needs discipline; it's harder now
than when one starts from scratch as there are many troubles and
complexities but I'm sure we can do it if - while some people make
progress - the others make sure we don't go backwards.

Cheers,
Sanne