[infinispan-dev] State transfer performance

Adrian Nistor anistor at redhat.com
Fri Oct 12 08:16:58 EDT 2012

Hi Mircea,

Seeing Radim's mail makes me think we need a new event. We already have
a TopologyChangedEvent but this one is only useful to find out when a
new CH starts to be installed and when installation ends. With NBST
actual state transfer still continues a while after this and there is no
programmatic way to tell when it ends (except for some very ugly polling
for pendingCh == null). Wouldn't it make sense to introduce a new event
to signal end of state transfer? I think for performance testing we
should not rely on log analysis because the logging itself slows
everything down quite a lot and has an undesirable impact on the results.

We already have the polling I mentioned in our unit tests in
TestingUtil.waitForRehashToComplete(). Removing those busy polling loops
might even make the tests run faster.

Adrian