[infinispan-dev] 5.2.0.Beta1

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Mon Sep 24 06:23:15 EDT 2012

On 21 Sep 2012, at 18:02, Mircea Markus <mircea.markus at jboss.com> wrote:

> On 21 Sep 2012, at 19:40, Manik Surtani wrote:
>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The planned date for Beta1 is 28th of Sept.
>>> Beta would mean a feature and API freeze - if you think something's critical and won't meet the deadline please let me know.
>>>
>>> Following JIRAs must make it in (otherwise we'll hold the release) [1]:
>>>
>>> ISPN-2332 - Update xsite configuration file (Mircea, config/api change)
>>> ISPN-2319 - Add ability to take a site offline into x-site implementation (Mircea, required for the xsite functionality)
>>> ISPN-2316 - Distributed deadlock in StateTransferInterceptor (Dan, critical so that QA can progress with testing)
>>> ISPN-1407 - Make sure the server_list attribute of the Hot Rod Client can be updated dynamically (Galder, required by rolling upgrades functionality)
>>
>> This is a nice-to-have.  I don't think this is critical.  I think it is fair enough to ask people to reconfigure and restart their clients.
>
> Can't we rather enhance HR so that the shutting down servers would piggyback the "restart" information to the clients? When a client receives a restart response (similar to a topology change response),  it restarts itself without requiring any manual work. How does it sound?

That would involve several things:

1.  A change in the wire protocol (so not going to happen so quickly!)
2.  The "old" cluster to know the new cluster's topology information, to be able to push this to clients.

Possible, and would definitely do good things for user experience, but IMO can be added later as second phase.

Cheers
Manik
manik at jboss.org
twitter.com/maniksurtani