[infinispan-dev] !event.isPre correctness

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 08:30:04 EDT 2012

On Sep 21, 2012, at 10:58 AM, Mircea Markus <mircea.markus at jboss.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When the listener is notified with (event.isPre == false), the change that triggered the event is not visible to the user[1] as the notification happens before exiting the EntryWrappingInterceptor.
> I think this is not right, as a user I'd expect that the post notification to happen after data was applied to the cache, wdyt?
>

> [1] this was raised on the forums: https://community.jboss.org/thread/205515

Mircea,

This has already been noted: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-2054

As I've already mentioned in the list, we need to revisit the cache listeners in a more global case (on top of what you suggest) to solve issues like this:
- http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/infinispan-dev/2012-February/010272.html
- http://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1948 (in the current code base, you just can't rely on visibility of cache contents)

Personally, I would not fix anything in listeners cos there's always gonna be something broken, and instead, people can just create interceptors that would do the same thing and with more guarantees.

The agreement was to solve this issues for JSR-107 cache listener implementation, see my comment in:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-35?focusedCommentId=12696526&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-12696526

Cheers,