[infinispan-dev] CHM or CHMv8?

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Fri Apr 19 09:32:29 EDT 2013

On 04/19/2013 08:22 AM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> On 19 April 2013 13:52, David M. Lloyd <david.lloyd at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> IFF you find out CHMV8 is as good as HashMap for read only, you have
>>> two options:
>>>    - ask the JDK team to drop the HashMap code as it's no longer needed
>>>    - fix your benchmark :-P
>>>
>>> In other words, I'd consider it highly surprising and suspicious
>>> (still interesting though!)
>>
>> It's not as surprising as you think.  On x86, volatile reads are the
>> same as regular reads (not counting some possible reordering magic).  So
>> if a CHM read is a hash, an array access, and a list traversal, and so
>> is HM (and I believe this is true though I'd have to review the code
>> again to be sure), I'd expect very similar execution performance on
>> read.  I think some of the anti-collision features in V8 might come into
>> play under some circumstances though which might affect performance in a
>> negative way (wrt the constant big-O component) but overall in a
>> positive way (by turning the linear big-O component into a logarithmic one).
>
> Thanks David. I know about the cost of a volatile read, what I'm referring to
> is that I would expect the non-concurrent Maps to generally contain some
> simpler code than a conccurrent one. If this was not the case,
> why would any JDK team maintain two different implementations?
> That's why I would consider it surprising if it turned out that the CHMV8 was
> superior over a regular one on all fronts: there certainly is some
> scenario in which the regular one would be a more appropriate choice,
> which directly proofs that blindly replacing all usages in a large project
> is not optimal. Of course, it might be close to optimal..

You are right, it is not superior on all fronts.  It is definitely
similar in terms of read, but writes will have a substantially higher
cost, involving (at the very least) multiple volatile writes which are
orders of magnitude more expensive than normal writes (on Intel they
have the costly impact of memory fence instructions).  So I don't think
anyone will want to drop HashMap any time soon. :-)

--
- DML