[infinispan-dev] ISPN-263 and handling partitions

Manik Surtani msurtani at redhat.com
Mon Apr 22 12:42:12 EDT 2013

On 22 Apr 2013, at 14:24, Bela Ban <bban at redhat.com> wrote:

> Yes, that's what we decided to do a long time ago... see policy based
> merge approach in the mailing lists.
>
> But the point of *this* discussion is not data reconciliation after a
> merge, but how to *avoid* that reconciliation by making conflicting
> minority partitions read only, such that a merge always transfers data
> from the primary partition to the minority partitions.
>
> This is not as easy as it sounds though; Dan mentioned the case where
> the primary partition is not the owner of a given key K. In this case,
> we cannot simply swipe the minority partition. Even worse, if K is
> created and modified in the primary partition, we have to reconcile K's
> value between the primary and minority partitions...

And hence my asking whether we have a vector clock implementation in place yet.

Anyway, I have created a (fairly naive and simplistic) VectorClock implementation on this experimental branch:

https://github.com/maniksurtani/infinispan/commit/5d083a079ff3a16181081e2adbe91e0a98f90e3f

The next step, what needs to happen in the state transfer code to make use of this when handling a MergeView?

- M

manik at jboss.org
twitter.com/maniksurtani

Platform Architect, JBoss Data Grid