[infinispan-dev] JCache implementation documentation

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon Apr 29 05:33:35 EDT 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 6:03 PM, cotton-ben <ben.cotton at ALUMNI.RUTGERS.EDU> wrote:

> Very nice work Galder.
>
> Couple of questions re:  Infinispan 5.3.0 ambitions/capabilities to provide
> JSR-107 transactions option.
>
> 1.   We noticed on your GitHub branch that you have JCACHE Transactions test
> code.  The code uses javax.transaction.TransactionManager (ajuna
> implementation).  Will you extend this test to also audition the usage of
> javax.transaction.UserTransaction (arjuna, et. al. implementations?) and its
> JCACHE factory bridge via javax.cache.CacheManager.getUserTransaction()  ?

^ Hmmmm, which test are you refering to exactly?

> 2.  We notice that your tests include specifying LOCAL isolation
> READ_COMMITTED.  Will you extend this to build tests that actually challenge
> Inifispan's integrity for honoring the chosen isolation, i.e. by introducing
> specific "DIRTY_READ" (caching use case) test challenges?

^ TBH, such tests should be added to the TCK. Infinispan already has tests within core/ that verify dirty read situations.

> 3.  Can we right now use Infinispan 5.3.0.A to build a test that
> demonstrates Infinispan (via its JTA bridge) honoring a REPEATABLE_READ
> isolation choice?

^ You can build a test anytime :). I don't see why it should not work since we already have REPETEABLE_READ tests in the Infinispan Core testsuite.

> 4.  Can you comment on eventually providing tests that demonstrate
> Infinispan 5.3.0 using the TotalOrder (CloudTM?) JTA bridge to achieve
> SERIALIZABLE isolation choice?  This one will be especially helpful, as we
> understand Infinispan has the ambition to supporting isolation=SERIALIZABLE
> via the JCACHE API.  *We greatly applaud this ambition, and can't wait to
> see it working in Infinispan. * We don't know yet how directly dependent it
> is on TotalOrder being a capability provider (we're studying this).

^ I'm not a total order expert. Pedro, will Total Order enable SERIALIZABLE isolation level? If so, do we already have tests for that?

The presentation will be uploaded to the http://www.jboss.org/events/JUDCon/2013/brazil site shortly, once they've gathered all the presentations. In the mean time, you can find the PDF in https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6148072/galde-jsr107-brazil.pdf - There's not a huge deal on it since I split the preso to be 50% live coding.

> Again, very nice work ... we'll be following progress here closely.  Thanks

^ Thanks for the interest :)