[infinispan-dev] infinispan-quickstart vs. infinispan/demos

Martin Gencur mgencur at redhat.com
Tue Apr 30 11:31:34 EDT 2013

Dne 30.4.2013 16:26, Galder Zamarreño napsal(a):
> On Apr 29, 2013, at 2:40 PM, Martin Gencur <mgencur at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>> I'd be interested why we have examples in two different locations:
>>
>> 1) https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan-quickstart
>> 2) https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/tree/master/demos
>>
>> Can someone please shed some light on this? The infinispan-quickstart
>> repo seems a bit out of date. Wouldn't it make sense to have all
>> examples in one location?
> ^ It definitely does.
>
> The quickstart repo should be the place to put all the demos/quickstarts, but the problem with these is keeping them up to date. It should be done with every major release (at least), but some of the demos require extra set up (i.e. Amazon S3…etc), which makes them a bit of a PITA to set up, and I guess that's the reason why they have not been ported over to quickstarts.

So the desired location is the infinispan-quickstart repo and the
examples there are being updated maybe once a year. Why is it not a
problem to have all the demos with extra setup in the main infinispan
repository (which everyone focus on and where the stuff should be really
up to date) but it is a problem to have them in the quickstart
repository which gets updated rarely? As you said, moving all the
examples to the quickstart repo and having them all in one location
would be nice.

There's also another discussion about examples for the project vs.
product, which complicates things a bit.

Thanks:)
Martin