[infinispan-dev] cache loader: purgerThreads and purgeSynchronously

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Wed Aug 14 06:59:47 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm not sure these config attributes are needed.

- *purgeThreads*  configures the number of threads that run the storage purging (removal of expired entries from the storage). The more threads the faster the purging processes. Is there a reason for putting effort in making the purging fast (and parallel) though? The cache store implementations check if an entry is expired before returning it anyway. Actually I'll move the code in CacheLoader interceptor to make sure this happens for all stores.
- *purgeSynchronously*. I think the reason for this parameter is that the purging is invoked by the eviction thread. If the purging takes long then eviction is delayed. This is false by default (I doubt users change this btw) so there's a different thread than the eviction thread that runs the purging. I'd rather remove the config option and always run the purging in its own thread.

Opinions?

Mircea Markus
Infinispan lead (www.infinispan.org)