[infinispan-dev] help with Infinispan OSGi

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Wed Dec 18 08:22:13 EST 2013

On Dec 16, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Eric Wittmann <eric.wittmann at redhat.com> wrote:

> I wanted to add that in the Overlord group we're also looking into using ISPN in OSGi.  Our directive is to get our projects running in Fuse 6.1.
>
> To that end I've been working on getting Overlord:S-RAMP up and running, which requires both ModeShape and ISPN.
>
> Additionally, Gary Brown uses ISPN in Overlord:RTGov and so will need to get it working directly (no ModeShape) in Fuse 6.1.
>
> I've made some progress on my end but have run into some of the same issues as Brett.
>
> An additional issue I hit was the use of Java's ServiceLoader for org.infinispan.configuration.parsing.ConfigurationParser.  None of the parsers get loaded because ServiceLoader doesn't work particularly well in OSGi.  We had this same issue in S-RAMP (we use ServiceLoader in a few places).  I solved it by using the OSGi Service Registry when running in an OSGi container, but continuing to use ServiceLoader otherwise.

^ Can you add a JIRA for this so that we can abstract this away? I'm not sure how exactly we'd decide on the impl to use. By default it'd be SL impl. When used on OSGI though, an alternative service loading impl would need to be configured specifically by the user? Or would Infinispan itself detect that it's in OSGi and hence used the corresponding impl? I've no idea about OSGI.

> In any case - I was wondering if anyone thought it might be a good idea to create a git repo where we can create some test OSGi applications that use ISPN and can be deployed (e.g. to Fuse).  This would be for testing purposes only - to shake out problems.  Might be useful for collaboration?

A quickstart on [1] would be the perfect place for something like that, i.e. fuse + infinispan or something like that.

[1] http://www.jboss.org/jdf/quickstarts/get-started/