[infinispan-dev] scala code in Infinispan

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 09:34:32 EST 2013

Hi,

On Jan 31, 2013, at 12:45 PM, Mircea Markus <mmarkus at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> The REST module is written in Scala (both main + tests). We have some *test* contributions written in Java (thanks  mlinhard).
> There was an IRC discussion on whether it's worth migrating the Java contribution to Scala code or not.
>
> Pros for migrating the contribution from Java to Scala:
> - the REST module is written in Scala. Contributing these tests in Java would make the module bi-lingual, potentially confusing future contributors
> - even though this is not the case with this particular contribution, there might be code duplications between the scala test suite and java test suite.
>
> Cons for migrating the contribution from Java to Scala:
> - there are contributors that are not familiar with Scala or are more proficient with Java(such as mlinhard). Forcing them to contribute in a language they are not familiar with would put them off
> - my general feeling over time was that people (including me) are not very enthusiastic about debugging and extending Scala code. So IMO if there's a choice between scala and java  (in the scope of the scala modules) we should stick to Java wherever possible (such as this contribution).
>
> This email is not about the migration of scala code to java, but about the very specific contribution described above (even thought the mix of scala+java code in ISPN is a a very interesting topic by itself).

My preference is for Scala projects to keep all code in Scala unless there's a major force (i.e. lack of equivalent enums in Scala that can be injected into).

If we focus on this specific case, unless there's a huge rush to integrate the test, this is a chance for the contributor (Michal) to get familiar with another programming language, which I think is a really good thing.

Cheers,