[infinispan-dev] More verbose logging

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 06:49:32 EST 2013

I always liked this idea of categories but never saw it at use. Are there any projects that use this logging approach?

On 20 Feb 2013, at 09:57, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> +1 for using categories
>
> We could even experiment combining multiple categories, for example in
> this case you could have a "RPCDispatcher" category and also have a
> "RPCDispatcher.includeCacheEntries" which will make descriptions
> more/less verbose.

That's not what I understand by a category - "logical process" as defined by David. I consider "Remoting" or "Rehashing" a category, but RPCDIspatcher is just an entity (too fine grained) and RPCDispatcher.includeCacheEntries even more so.

Also that wouldn't necessarily solve the problem Manik raised: in this particular case the toString of StateResponseCommand is huge. Adrian/Dan is this needed for debugging state transfer issues? If so +1 for managing it with the verbose flag.

Mircea Markus
Infinispan lead (www.infinispan.org)