[infinispan-dev] scala code in Infinispan

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 07:08:03 EST 2013

I've said it before and am repeating myself here: I believe including
Scala code is a very bad decision for the following reasons:

- Not a lot of people are proficient in Scala
- What happens when the people who wrote the Scala code leave ? We'd
have to build up Scala knowledge in house to be able to develop/maintain
that code
- Support: same for knowledge: we have to support Scala code if there's
a bug, but IMO we don't have Scala folks in support
- Debugging: cross language debugging is hairy at least (or so I
heard/read from different people)
- I've had a few run-ins with the Scala compiler when compiling
Infinispan with Maven

If it was up to me, I'd flat-out *prohibit* any new Scala code in
Infinispan. Long-term I'd also replace Scala with Java, although the
server is probably not such a big problem as it is a standalone and
independent subsystem.

my 5 cents,

--
Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)