[infinispan-dev] scala code in Infinispan

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 07:48:52 EST 2013

On 31 Jan 2013, at 12:08, Bela Ban wrote:

> I've said it before and am repeating myself here: I believe including
> Scala code is a very bad decision for the following reasons:
>
> - Not a lot of people are proficient in Scala
> - What happens when the people who wrote the Scala code leave ? We'd
> have to build up Scala knowledge in house to be able to develop/maintain
> that code
> - Support: same for knowledge: we have to support Scala code if there's
> a bug, but IMO we don't have Scala folks in support
> - Debugging: cross language debugging is hairy at least (or so I
> heard/read from different people)
> - I've had a few run-ins with the Scala compiler when compiling
> Infinispan with Maven
Agreed on all points.
OTOH learning/using a new language can be good fun, so with that in mind having Scala in ISPN might be a positive think. From what I saw discussing with people is that not everyone shares this enthusiasm in using Scala, and even fewer in debugging Scala.
> If it was up to me, I'd flat-out *prohibit* any new Scala code in
> Infinispan. Long-term I'd also replace Scala with Java, although the
> server is probably not such a big problem as it is a standalone and
> independent subsystem.
>
> my 5 cents,

Mircea Markus
Infinispan lead (www.infinispan.org)