[infinispan-dev] scala code in Infinispan

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:02:11 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Mircea Markus <mmarkus at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2013, at 12:37, Manik Surtani wrote:
>
>  I don't think that encouraging scala code is good purely for maintenance
> reasons. If there's a choice, it should be java. Not saying that learning a
> new language is not cool - but in practice people are a bit put off by
> maintaining Scala code. Its not only about what the writer of the code
> prefers as a language: it's more important what the maintainers of the code
> will has to work with.
>

> Would such maintainers also be put off by new language features (lambdas)
> in Java 8 when we (eventually) baseline to it?  :-)
>
> It's really NOT the same thing: any decent java programmer keeps up with
> all the enhancements in Java.
> What I might not want to - as an ISPN programmer - is to keep up with the
> language enhancements in Scala. And I might need to do that because of
> Scala language enhancements used in ISPN.

I guess my main problem with Scala is that it's evolving at a furious pace,
and as a result it's accumulating a lot of different ways to do the same
thing. So different parts of the code evolve to do the same thing in many
different ways, depending on who wrote that bit and when.

As to debugging Java-Scala interop, I never had any problems. There is one
general annoyance with debugging Scala code in that almost everything is a
function call, so you almost never use step-over in the debugger.

Profiling Scala code may be a bit more complicated than profiling Java
code, but I haven't had to do that yet (I was profiling the HotRod server,
but most of the spent time was in the core module).