[infinispan-dev] Cachestores performance

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Wed Jul 3 04:09:23 EDT 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 3:32 PM, Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com> wrote:

> | Given such a scenario, I am not interested at all in synchronous
> | storage. Before we commit into a design which is basically assuming
> | the need for synchronous storage guarantees, I'd like to understand
> | what kind of use case it's aiming to solve.
>
> You're right that I may miss the wider perspective and that I am too much focused on storing stuff reliably when we have reliability assured by multiple owners.
>

> | Only then we would be able to pick a design (or multiple ones); for my
> | use case the proposal from Karsten seems excellent, so I'm wondering
> | why I should be looking for alternatives, and wondering why everyone
> | is still wasting time on different discussions :-D
>
> Karsten implementation has one major drawback: all the keys are stored in-memory, and there's no search structure for overflow. For use case we've had with bigger keys and very small values this is simply not an option. However, we have the LevelDB JNI implementation for this purpose and the numbers are not bad in non-syncing mode. Do we want to have some efficient no-dependency cache-store? If the question is no, okay, let use recommend LevelDB JNI for this purposes.

That's been my feeling as well. Karten's implementation, in spite of its limitations, is a very good base and kicks performance of our current offering. Sure, it has some drawbacks, but as Radim said, when bigger keys are used, or many keys, we could recommend the LevelDB JNI cache store alternative.

Instead of writing a brand new cache store from scratch, it might more valuable to figure out what the threshold is after which the the LevelDB option should be used instead of Karsten's cache store. This could be explored by increasily testing keys of different sizes, and/or different amount of keys stored. WDYT? This way, we can provide better guidance on when to use each one.

> | I'm pretty sure there is people looking forward for a synch-CacheStore
> | too: if you could nail down such a scenario however I'm pretty sure
> | that some other considerations would not be taken into account (like
> | consistency of data when reactivating a dormant node), so I suspect
> | that just implementing such a component would actually not make any
> | new architecture possible, as you would get blocked by other problems
> | which need to be solved too.. better define all expectations asap!

The starting point has been this: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-2806

We need a faster FCS. We already have several options that are faster, we all seem to agree that Karten's FCS and LevelDB JNI offer the best solutions, each with their own caveats. The primary difference between them two, as far as I can see from Radim's performance test results, is the read performance in overflow. Karsten's characteristics makes it incredibly fast here, but there's a limit to it. If we can figure out what that limit is, we have all the info that we can provide to the user: if you store keys with size bigger than X, or store more than Y keys in the cache, use LevelDB JNI, otherwise use Karsten's FCS (which would really be the new FCS).

> | To me this thread smells of needing the off-heap Direct Memory buffers
> | which I suggested [long time ago] to efficiently offload internal
> | buffers,
>
> Yes, when it comes to reducing GC pauses, that is the best option. However, you can't have enough RAM to handle everything in-memory (off-heap), persistent storage for overflow is a must-have.
>
> | but failing to recognise this we're pushing responsibility to
> | an epic level complex CacheStore.. guys let's not forget that a mayor
> | bottleneck of CacheStores today is the SPI it has to implement, we
> | identified several limitations in the contract in the past which
> | prevent a superior efficiency: we're working towards a mayor release
> | now so I'd rather focus on the API changes which will make it possible
> | to get decent performance even without changing any storage engine..

^ Indeed, that's been discussed in [1], and you've contributed to it, but I think having a faster FCS to start with is a bigger priority than this. Our FCS has been bashed pretty much since day one, and we know have faster alternatives. We just need to come up with the right recommendations on how to use them, and then we can focus on [1].

Also, part of me wants JCache to be finaled before tackling [1], so that we have a stable cacheloader/cachewriter interface at the spec level. I think it's pretty stable now, but you never know.

[1] https://community.jboss.org/wiki/CacheLoaderAndCacheStoreSPIRedesign