[infinispan-dev] RemoteCache vs BasicCache

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Tue Jul 9 13:22:01 EDT 2013

On 9 July 2013 18:13, Mircea Markus <mmarkus at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 9 Jul 2013, at 20:07, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at infinispan.org> wrote:

>>> If ConcurrentMap doesn't have what we need, of course :-)
>>
>> ConcurrentMap adds a load of pitfalls which should not be there: all
>> the methods whose result is depending on the node they are run on.
>>
>> I know we make it clear in javadocs and several warnings on the doc,
>> but experience tells that this is not good enough :-(
>>
>> I'd propose to remove them all, and provide an adapter layer
>> (optional) for those needing to replace a ConcurrentMap in their code.
>> Methods like "size()" - as discussed before - are possibly useful for
>> statistics and diagnostics, and therefore should be accessed in a
>> different explicit way.
>>
>> cache.diagnosticsStatistics().localContainerSize()
>
> +1. That would be part of the migration towards to JCache API and implemented in 7.0. I think Tristan was looking for something now.

I see. But since we plan a change anyway, why not doing the right
thing right away? Ok we can change interfaces on mayor versions, still
the less you change them the better: any change is a big pain for
other projects.

Unless Tristan was looking for something backwards compatible right
now? Of course I'd prefer that, I was making suggestions assuming the
interface chain would change now in some non-compabile way.

Cheers,
Sanne