[infinispan-dev] Using infinispan as quorum-based nosql

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 12:03:59 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM, <vitalii.tymchyshyn at ubs.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Thanks for your information. I will subscribe and vote for the issues
> noted.
> In the meantime I've implemented hacky JgroupsTransport that "downgrades"
> all (but CacheViewControlCommand and StateTransferControlCommand)
> SYNCHRONOUS invokeRemotely calls to SYNCHRONOUS_IGNORE_LEAVERS and checks
> if required number of answers was received with a filter (I've tried to use
> original invokeRemotely return value but it often returns some strange
> value, like empty map). It seems to do the trick for me. But I am still not
> sure if this has any side effects.

Indeed, I started working on a solution, but I over-engineered it and then
I got side-tracked with other stuff. Sorry about that.

The problem with using SYNCHRONOUS_IGNORE_LEAVERS everywhere, as I found
out, is that you don't want to ignore the primary owner of a key leaving
during a prepare/lock command (or the coordinator, in REPL mode prior to
5.3.0.CR1/ISPN-2772). If that happens, you have to retry on the new primary
owner, otherwise you can't know if the prepare command has locked the key
or not.

A similar problem appears in non-transactional caches with
supportsConcurrentUpdates=true: there the primary owner can ignore any of
the backup owners leaving, but the originator can't ignore the primary
owner leaving.

> For now I can see merge problem in my test: different values are picked
> during merge. I am going to dig a little deeper and follow up. But it's
> already a little strange for me, since the test algorithm is:
> 1)Assign "old" value to full cluster (it's REPL_SYNC mode)
> 2)Block coordinator
> 3)Writer "new" value to one of two remaining nodes. It's syncrhonized to
> second remaining node
> 4)Unblock coordinator
> 5)Wait (I could not find a good way to wait for state transfer but wait in
> this case).
> 6)Check the value on coordinator
>
> And in my test I am randomly getting "old" or "new" in assert. I am now
> going to check why. May be I will need to "reinitialize" smaller cluster
> part to ensure data is taken from the quorum part of the cluster.

We don't handle merges properly. See
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-263 and the discussion at
http://markmail.org/message/meyczotzobuva7js

What happens right now is that after a merge, all the caches are assumed to
have up-to-date data, so there is no state transfer. We had several ideas
floating around on how we could force the smaller partition to receive data
from the quorum partition, but I think with the public API your best option
is to stop all the caches in the smaller partition after the split and
start them back up after the merge.

Cheers
Dan