[infinispan-dev] New bundler performance

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 04:54:55 EDT 2013

Hi,

I was going through the commits (running tests on each of them) to seek the performance regression we've recently discovered and it seems that our test (replicated udp non-transactional stress test on 4 nodes) experiences a serious regression on the commit

ISPN-2848 Use the new bundling mechanism from JGroups 3.3.0 (73da108cdcf9db4f3edbcd6dbda6938d6e45d148)

The performance drops from about 7800 writes/s to 4800 writes/s, and from 1.5M reads/s to 1.2M reads/s (having slower reads in replicated mode is really odd).

It seems that the bundler is not really as good as we hoped for - it may be the bottleneck. I have tried to create another bundler which shares the queue between 4 instances of TransportQueueBundler (so, 4 threads are actually sending the messages which go into one queue) and the performance mildly improved - to 5200 writes/s, but that's not enough.

Radim

Note: you may have seen my conversation with Pedro Ruivo on IRC about the bundler several days ago, in that time our configuration had old bundler. This was fixed, but as I have not built Infinispan properly (something got cached), I have not noticed the regression between these builds.

Radim Vansa
Quality Assurance Engineer
JBoss Datagrid
tel. +420532294559 ext. 62559