[infinispan-dev] Retrieval operations with the IGNORE_RETURN_VALUES flag

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 08:14:12 EDT 2013

On Jun 10, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Adrian Nistor <anistor at redhat.com> wrote:

> Maybe we could just clarify the javadoc of IGNORE_RETURN_VALUES and say that it only applies to write operations and is ignored for everything else? Why punish the user with an exception when doing a 'get'?
>
> We already document there's a (very common-sense) exception for conditional writes were the flag is ignored (ISPN-3141).

I wonder if anyone noticed my reply earlier...

"The flag business does need a big re-think. Not only to separate internal from external flags (we have a jira for that [1]), but also to have a way to define which flags can be passed to a particular operation, in a way that's type-safe, and without resulting in a runtime error of the likes of "X flag cannot be used with Y operation". IOW, any error on which flag can be used with what operation should ideally be caught at compilation time. I don't have specific ideas on this right now, but I think it'd be good to achieve this."

IOW, I suggest we leave it as it is. We need to re-think it anyway. So let's tackle it in 6.0 so that a get operation can never be passed IGNORE_RETURN_VALUES flag, and this being something that's caught at **compilation time**.

I'm just about to add another internal flag to Flag as a result of the JCache 0.7 upgrade…, so need to tackle ISPN-2201 to avoid causing more confusion, and alongside avoid the issues that have been highlighted WRT which operations are allowed which flags. I'm happy to do this for 6.0.

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-2201