[infinispan-dev] New bundler performance

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 09:30:38 EDT 2013

On 12 Jun 2013, at 14:16, Bela Ban <bban at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/12/2013 04:54 AM, Radim Vansa wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was going through the commits (running tests on each of them) to
>> seek the performance regression we've recently discovered and it
>> seems that our test (replicated udp non-transactional stress test on
>> 4 nodes) experiences a serious regression on the commit
>>
>> ISPN-2848 Use the new bundling mechanism from JGroups 3.3.0
>> (73da108cdcf9db4f3edbcd6dbda6938d6e45d148)
>>
>> The performance drops from about 7800 writes/s to 4800 writes/s, and
>> from 1.5M reads/s to 1.2M reads/s (having slower reads in replicated
>> mode is really odd).
>

> Is this using sync or async replication ?
>
> You could set UDP.bundler_type="old" to see if the old bundler makes a
> difference.
Right now we've removed the DONT_BUNDLE flag for the sync calls, so putting the old bundler in place would require some code changes.
Is there anything wrong with using DONT_BUNDLE on the sync calls with the new bundler? I'm thinking we should support both for now, as the new bundling needs to prove itself still.

> Yes, reads should have *nothing* to do with the bundler as there should
> not be any communication on reads !

> Maybe you should instrument the reads with byteman and see if they cause
> any communication.
+1. or some jprofiler snapshots to check the get?