[infinispan-dev] Doubts about TxDistributionInterceptor and possible break in transaction isolation

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 11:11:11 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Pedro Ruivo <pedro at infinispan.org> wrote:

> On 06/17/2013 12:56 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:
> >
> > On 17 Jun 2013, at 11:52, Pedro Ruivo <pedro at infinispan.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I've been looking at TxDistributionInterceptor and I have a couple of
> >> questions (assuming REPEATABLE_READ isolation level):
> >>
> >> #1. why are we doing a remote get each time we write on a key? (huge
> >> perform impact if the key was previously read)
> > indeed this is suboptimal for transactions that write the same key
> repeatedly and repeatable read. Can you please create a JIRA for this?
>
> created: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3235

Oops... when I fixed https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3124 I removed
the SKIP_REMOTE_LOOKUP, thinking that the map is already in the invocation
context so there shouldn't be any perf penalty. I can't put the
SKIP_REMOTE_LOOKUP flag back, otherwise delta writes won't have the
previous value during state transfer, so +1 to fixing ISPN-3235.

> >> #2. why are we doing a dataContainer.get() if the remote get returns a
> >> null value? Shouldn't the interactions with data container be performed
> >> only in the (Versioned)EntryWrappingInterceptor?
> > This was added in the scope of ISPN-2688 and covers the scenario in
> which a state transfer is in progress, the remote get returns null as the
> remote value was dropped (no longer owner) and this node has become the
> owner in between.
> >

> ok :)

Yeah, this should be correct as long as we check if we already have the key
in the invocation context before doing the remote + local get.

> >> #3. (I didn't verify this) why are we acquire the lock is the remote get
> >> is performed for a write? This looks correct for pessimistic locking but
> >> not for optimistic...
> > I think that, given that the local node is not owner, the lock
> acquisition is redundant even for pessimistic caches.
> > Mind creating a test to check if dropping that lock acquisition doesn't
> break things?
>
> I created a JIRA with low priority since it does not affect the
> transaction outcome/isolation and I believe the performance impact
> should be lower (you can increase the priority if you want).
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3237

If we don't lock the L1 entry, I think something like this could happen:

tx1 at A: remote get(k1) from B - stores k1=v1 in invocation context
tx2 at A: write(k1, v2)
tx2 at A: commit - writes k1=v2 in L1
tx1 at A: commit - overwrites k1=v1 in L1