[infinispan-dev] Bye bye wrappers, ComparingConcurrentHashMapv8 is here (ISPN-2281)

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 15:56:20 EDT 2013

On 18 Mar 2013, at 12:21, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A heads up on what is going on with https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-2281
>
> While discussing this, Tristan and I came to the conclusion that we could avoid the need to create some wrappers required to fulfill requirements in this JIRA, and as a side effect, reduce the memory consumption of Infinispan servers, if we could have internal data containers based on concurrent hash maps that took a custom function for equals/hashCode…etc. By doing that, you could effectively have **byte[] keys and values for maps**.
>
> By doing that, you avoid creating wrappers (yippee!) for keys (bye bye ByteArrayKey), and combined with a better way to pass metadata into Infinispan Caches (i.e. version) that is stored within the internal cache entries, you avoid wrapper values too! (bye bye CacheValue).
Do you plan to use Versioned*CacheValue for storing values? if so you'd still create a version object to be aggregated in Versioned*CacheValue.

> Doing the latter was relatively simple (I have this stashed), but having a CHM that could take a byte[] as key wasn't that easy, since we can't change JDK CHM.
why's that?  copyright?

> This is why, I've created a new CHM, based on the CHMv8, called ComparingConcurrentHashMapv8 (thx Tristan for the name!). The work for this can be seen in: https://github.com/galderz/infinispan/commit/351e29d327d163ca8e941edf873f6d46b43cfae1
this relies on sun.misc.Unsafe, so won't work with a non-oracle JVM.
This class would be aggregated in the DataContainer in the case we use infinispan in server mode, right?