[infinispan-dev] [infinispan-internal] async processing documentation (+ nice inconsistency scenario example)

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 16:58:58 EDT 2013

> > * Marshalling happens in the async thread (the same one that puts the
> message on the wire) rather than in the caller's thread
> my understanding is that there's no such additional thread, but caller's
> thread goes to the network stack even for async calls. I think Bela can put
> some light on this.

If you use bundling, the bundler thread writes the bytes to the socket, not
the caller's thread. TCP also uses a special sender thread for each
connection, if use_sender_queues=true (the default).

> > * sendMessage() should accept a marshaller and unmarshaller per
> invocation
>
> There is a org.jgroups.Buffer that we pass to the org.jgroups.Message we
> send across, another, less intrusive way would be to write a lazy wrapper
> around it.

Still, FRAG2 needs the actual bytes of the message, and that's a long time
before the message gets passed to the bundler thread.

Cheers
Dan