[infinispan-dev] Bye bye wrappers, ComparingConcurrentHashMapv8 is here (ISPN-2281)

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 07:23:53 EDT 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Manik Surtani <msurtani at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2013, at 12:21, Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> IOW, you'll be able to say: create an Infinsipan Server that has String as key and value of type X, where X is the actual data type, no metadata!! The metadata (version, encoding, whatever is requried to fulfill the compatibility reqs in ISPN-2281) will be passed as part of the put/replace…etc (I will email this around when in place).
>
> Not sure I get this.

Understandable.

> Where will this metadata be stored?

^ Right now, lifespan/maxIdle/version are stored in InternalCacheEntry. My plan is to wrap all this Metadata mentioned (lifespan/maxidle/version) into a a class that's stored in InternalCacheEntry.

The way Hot Rod, and others would pass more metadata if needed, would be by extending/implementing that Metadata class and adding extra information there.

In some stashed changes I have I already added putWithMetadata(K, V, Metadata) which includes lifespan/maxIdle/version. This would work nicely towards avoiding all the mayhem of overloaded methods we have which I hate with passion…

This will also work nicely towards having Hibernate provide a version to the data stored in Infinispan

The API is not finished by any means and this is still in flux… but as soon as I have something that I'm happy with and I've confirmed that it works nicely, I'll post for review of course.

What I mean by nice is: I can pass standard metadata from embedded, but servers can extend it nicely to put more metadata into the
internal container…