[infinispan-dev] ISPN-2281 effect on Infinispan Server

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Tue May 7 12:53:01 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com> wrote:

> Here's what I replied in a separate email last. Since then the issue has
> been sorted:
>
> > The reason I designed a byte[] specific Equivalence class is to avoid
> doing instanceof on the type passed. This would slow things in a
> critical path, hence, I designed a purely byte[] Equivalence class,
> and why there's no instanceof in AnyEquivalence either, to be as
> performant as possible.
>
> So yeah, as you suggest, the workaround would be for AnyEquivalence to
> check if the parameter is a byte[], in which case, delegate to
> ByteArrayEquivalence, but to reiterate, this is only a workaround and
> not the optimal solution.

I also checked if the Hot Rod server could add this itself to the
> caches, but this is complex stuff because it's given a cache manager
> already built, so it'd need to go and change the default configuration
> to apply this change programmatically, which is not easy because
> you're given a Configuration object and not the buillder, and making
> Configuration mutable just for that, where you're just trying to
> override what it's been configured in the cache manager is a hack.
>
> Since we controlled the way the servers are started via Infinispan
> Server, I assumed we controlled its configuration, hence I expected
> configuring BAEquivalence to be a safe assumption. We've made a bad
> job of waiting to integrate this and test Infinispan Server until now,
> with 7 days since the pull req has been up. Maybe the pull req test
> execution needs to also execute the Infinispan Servers testsuite
> automatically to avoid future issues....

-1 to add more stuff to the pull request build, it already takes half a day
for all the pull requests to be revalidated after a push to master. (10 PRs
* 30 mins/PR = 5h)

Besides, if this change broke Infinispan Server, isn't there a risk that it
broke 3rd party applications relying on the HotRod server as well?