[infinispan-dev] Baselining on Java 7

cotton-ben ben.cotton at ALUMNI.RUTGERS.EDU
Fri May 24 13:05:45 EDT 2013

> /all you'd have to do is [...]/

Thanks Bela.  I'd love the "you" in the response above to be me, but the
"you" has to be you.   I.e. as much as I'd like to build the bridge to the
capability myself, I am not going to be empowered to do this by my clients.
We need a bridge provider.  Might I pep-rally a cry of "Infinispan on
Infiniband today!" to encourage you to be that bridge provider?  :-)

/> I see that Socket and ServerSocket are already supported, so NIO2 is not
even needed (from an API viewpoint).
/

Absolutely correct!  You do not need NIO2.  I can get everything from
java.net.Socket.  But I must have Java 7.

/> it would be interesting to get some numbers on
running Infinispan/JGroups over Infiniband using SDP sockets. Are you
planning on doing this ? /

Of course, the numbers will be mind-blowing if you are used to only having
physical provider=Ethernet.  I'd love to build a Java based POC to exercise
our use-case.   However, I can't  be the bridge provider to get from Java
application code to Infiniband VERBs.  I need JBoss (Infinispan/JGroups) to
be that bridge provider.

We'll patiently wait for when you guys explicitly support IPoIB in
Infinispan/JGroups.  And then, off we go.  (But with Java 7, as we all know,
this can be done today!)

Thanks again, Bela.  Let's keep these musings flowing.
Ben