[infinispan-dev] design for cluster events (wiki page)

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Fri Nov 1 03:25:44 EDT 2013

On 10/31/13 11:20 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> On 31 October 2013 20:07, Mircea Markus <mmarkus at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> There should be a way to manually modify the primary partition status.
>>> So if the admin knows the nodes will never return, they can manually
>>> enable the partition.
>>
>> The status will be exposed through JMX at any point, disregarding if there's a split brain going on or not.
>>

>>> Also, the PartitionContext should know whether the nodes left normally
>>> or not.
>>> If you have 5 nodes in a cluster, and you shut down 3 of them, you'll
>>> want the remaining two to remain available.
>>> But if there was a network partition, you wouldn't.  So it needs to know
>>> the difference.
>>
>> very good point again.
>> Thank you Dennis!
>
> Let's clarify. If 3 nodes out of 5 are killed without a
> reconfiguration, you do NOT want the remaining two to remain available
> unless explicitly told so by an admin. It is not possible to
> automatically make a distinction between 3 nodes being shut down vs. 3
> crashed nodes.

We could determine that a node left *gracefully* by sending an RPC
before leaving. But for all other cases, we don't know whether a node
got partitioned away, or whether it crashed.

For the graceful-leave case, we could say that we can go below the
read-only threshold to remain available. This would increase overall
availability a bit.

--
Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)