[infinispan-dev] Improving Infinispan's Scalability: A new approach to group communication

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 07:31:34 EST 2013

Thanks for sharing the recording. Finally I've found out what's the
purpose of total order protocol, although the drawbacks with WSC look
pretty limiting. I'd really like to see the impact with WSC on, but that
would require Infinispan itself as the main problem TOA is trying to
solve is degraded performance due to deadlocking.

My main questions is about the ordering box size - if I understand that
correctly, the ordering box consists of several physical machines.Then,
what's the way to get the synchronized GSN from them? Is this the same
as with regular TOA, taking the highest timestamp from all of the nodes?
Or is there any internal synchronization within the ordering box?

Anyway, I like the idea of centralizing things, as the problem itself is
centralized. And as my parallel systems teacher said, solving
centralized problem in distributed fashion usually causes more trouble
than it's worth.

Radim

On 11/15/2013 12:29 PM, Paul Robinson wrote:
> All,
>
> Here's the recording from the Newcastle JBug...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04qNcovQKLA
>
> I've also added Ryan to the CC, in case you have any specific comments
> you want to direct his way.
>
> Paul.
>
> --
> Paul Robinson
> Web Service Transactions Lead
> paul.robinson at redhat.com <mailto:paul.robinson at redhat.com>
>
> JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
> Directors:Michael Cunningham (US), Charles Peters (US), Matt Parson
> (US), Paul Hickey (Ireland)

Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com>
JBoss DataGrid QA