[infinispan-dev] Design of Remote Hot Rod events

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Tue Nov 19 08:01:21 EST 2013

On Tue 2013-11-19 12:23, Radim Vansa wrote:
> On 11/19/2013 09:48 AM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
> > I wish the design document was showing how we can achieve a general
> > purpose remote listener approach but have a step 1 that is only
> > targeting a restricted set of listeners if you feel that it's too much
> > to chew. I don't want us to be trapped in a situation where backward
> > compatibility prevent us from adding use cases.
> I was also suggesting that listener on particular key should be
> mandatory requirement. However, any general server-side filtering logic
> would be hard to specify as HotRod is language-unaware binary protocol.
> Therefore, the best you could get is some kind of binary regular
> expressions. For the start, global/one-key filtering is a good start and
> the door are not closed for any further options.

Well
1. you have a query language that can express restriction regardless of
your target client language
2. one can imagine to separate the notion of listener *type* whose
implementation is registered on the server and a given client activating
a given listener type with some primitive parameters is possible