[infinispan-dev] Today's topic: eviction

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Wed Nov 27 10:01:16 EST 2013

On Nov 21, 2013, at 6:48 PM, Pedro Ruivo <pedro at infinispan.org> wrote:

> (re: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3048)
> (ps. sorry for the long mail. I hope that is clear)
>
> * Automatic eviction:
>
> I've been writing some scenario involving eviction and concurrent
> operations. This test shows a very reliable eviction but we have a
> problem when passivation is enabled. The passivation phase is ok but
> when we need to activate a key, we have a huge window in which the
> read/write operation does not find the key neither in-memory data
> container neither in the cache loader. This happens because the check
> in-memory data container is not synchronized with the check in cache loader.
>
> Passivation phase works fine, as I said, because it happens inside the
> data container, i.e., the bounded concurrent hash map (BCHM) evict the
> key under the segment lock.
>
> * Manual eviction
>
> I haven't finish my test suite but so far it does not work as expected.
> If you are a backup owner, you are unable to evict any keys (because the
> EvictCommand is handled as a RemoveCommand and the key is not wrapped in
> EntryWrappingInterceptor). In addition, I believe that it has the same
> problems with activation as above.
>
> Also, I believe that passivation phase does not work well because it
> first tries to passivate than it removes from DataContainer. Nothing is
> preventing to passivate an old value, a put occurs and modifies the data
> in DataContainer and finally the EvictCommand removes the new value
> (that is lost).
>
> * New implementation
>
> Since we are stating a new major release, I would like to "propose" the
> following improvements. One aspect of the implementation is the dropping
> of the *Cache[Writer or Loader]Interceptor and the EvictCommand. Also,
> it would add a new method in DataContainer (void evict(K key)) and
> possible change the interface in PersistenceManager.
>
> My idea is based on the current implementation of the BCHM. The BCHM
> implementation is aware of the persistence and it performs internally
> the passivate() and activate() operations. I would like to extend this
> and make it full aware of the PersistenceManager. Also, it would be
> required to have ConcurrentHashMap (CHM) with the same features

+1. Conceptually even, Infinispan holds data on different nodes: part in memory, part on disk.
I think this should also be reflected in the configuration[1], perhaps something like:
<storage>
  <memory/> <-- old data container stuff -->
  <persistence/>
</storage>

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3514

> Enter in more detail, the (B)CHM.get() will be responsible to load the
> key from persistence (and activate it) if it is not found in-memory.
> Also, it stores the entry in memory. In other hand, the put() stores the
> entry in-memory and in the persistence (if passivation==false) and we
> add an evict(k) to the CHM interface to remove from memory and passivate
> it to persistence a single key.
>
> * Pros
>
> ** solves all the problems :)
> ** remove all the interceptors related to cache writer and cache loader
> => small interceptor chain
> ** remove evict command => lower process time(?)
> ** cache writer and cache loader does not need to have per key lock
> based (however, they should be thread safe)

as with new persistence of ISPN 6.0, there's no key-locking happening in the cache writers anymore. All the locking is delegated to ISPN.