[infinispan-dev] rethinking ISPN transactions

Mark Little mlittle at redhat.com
Fri Nov 29 08:45:21 EST 2013

I haven't looked at how ISPN does this today, but here are some thoughts given how we do this within the transaction system for ACID transactions:

(i) have you considered async prepare?

(ii) async commit/rollback could involve an external audit component to capture the outcome of the transaction, which can be inspected later. Many years ago the OTS and CORBA Notification Service did this together.

(iii) if you don't allow heuristics then there are guarantees with async commit/rollback.

Mark.

On 8 Nov 2013, at 15:28, Mircea Markus wrote:

> 1. Async options for commit/rollback
> - they don't really make sense as a user you don't get any guarantee on the status of the transaction
> - they complicate the code significantly
> - I think they should be removed

---
Mark Little
mlittle at redhat.com

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in UK and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903 Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA), Matt Parsons (USA) and Brendan Lane (Ireland).