[infinispan-dev] The windup of 6.0.0

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 09:50:09 EDT 2013

Hi Erik,

On 10/11/13 3:30 AM, Erik Salter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in the performance regression,

Which perf regression ? JGRP-1716 ? The diff between using DONT_BUNDLE
and not using it ?

> and since I saw a similar
> regression with JGroups 3.4.0 coupled with ISPN 5.2.x (until 6.0.x is
> ready), I decided to investigate:
>
> Here are some profiling snapshots that I shared with Pedro.  This is of my
> system running UDP on a 12 node DIST cluster
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50401510/pruvio/dg1_320_interpreted.jps
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50401510/pruvio/dg1_340_interpreted2.jps
>
> The big thing we noticed was that the building of a Message was now in the
> main UDP receive() thread instead of the thread pools.

How do you connect this to the regression; and what makes you conclude
that moving the parsing up front is the culprit ? There were many
changes between 3.2 and 3.3/3.4, so why did you pick this one as culprit ?

Looking at your second snapshot, TP.receive() (which does the parsing)
takes almost no time. I've actualy confirmed in my own (extensive) tests
that moving the parsing up made things a bit faster and the code a lot
simpler. It was the latter argument which made me move the parsing from
the pools to receive().

>To my poor brain
> (and since I haven't been involved in the latest ISPN/JGroups happenings),
> it appeared this would be the most likely culprit.

Again, why ? JProfiler (2nd snapshot) shows 4'350ms total for the
receive() method, this is a blip on the radar (0% overall)...

>  So I reworked the UDP
> receiver to be a bit more like 3.2.x with the Message construction done in
> the appropriate thread pool (main, OOB, internal), while quasi-punting on
> the new bundler implementation.  After 3 test runs, the average throughput
> (again, measured by my app) seems to have recaptured 50-80% of the
> performance degradation.   The variance is high enough, though, to give me
> pause that I'm on the right track.

Perhaps it is something else. But I'd like to learn what the actual
problem is before diving into it... :-) Time for another skype/webex
session?

--
Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)