[infinispan-dev] Is anyone else experiencing JGRP-1675

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 06:49:02 EDT 2013

I was able to reproduce the deadlock reliably with a stress test:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JGRP-1675?focusedCommentId=12823031&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-12823031

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/16/2013 04:08 PM, Bela Ban wrote:
> > (1) Taking flow control out of a config is a *bad thing* unless
> >        * your message is small or
> >        * you make a blocking RPC. In this case you could use NO_FC,
> > bypassing flow control. Not sure if Infinispan does this
> Infinispan mostly uses dispatchers with blocking RPC - there are some
> messages with ResponseMode.GET_NONE, but these are usually used only
> after some blocking communication (I think that TxNotificationCommand is
> sent this way). So, for Infinispan the FC may not be really needed.

Infinispan RPCs are indeed synchonous most of the time, but they aren't
necessarily small. Especially for state transfer, but also for Map/Reduce
(see https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3375) so I'm pretty sure we still
need flow control.

> > (2) Use MFC/UFC rather than FC, which is deprecated
> I think that FC is misleading acronym for FlowControl - as MFC and UFC
> inherit from FlowControl, shortening it to FC is touting.

I'm also guilty of abbreviating UFC/MFC to FC many times. Bela, you can
rest assured that none of our configs use the actual FC protocol.