[infinispan-dev] Retrieving value before write

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Tue Oct 29 10:42:42 EDT 2013

Hi,

Pedro suggested moving the following idea to separate thread (from the
'Improve WriteCommand processing code...'). Re:

I've been wondering for a while why the fetch part is a separate message
in the write flow. Is the return value of much use when it does not
return really the replaced value but only some of the previous values?
And this way you double* the latency. I think that returning the value
from primary owner as the response for write would make more sense.
Naturally, for optimistic txs you can only do the get, and for
pessimistic ones you'd have to return the value together with the
locking, but still, the operations would make more sense.

*: OK, it's not doubling as with the write the primary owner replicates
the write to backups, but it's doubling  the amount of communication
originating from the requestor node.

WDYT?

Radim