[infinispan-dev] design for cluster events (wiki page)

William Burns mudokonman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 15:28:28 EDT 2013

Since it seems I can't comment on the wiki itself, I am just replying here.

I wonder if the third option 'Primary partition' is desirable.  I
think availability in some cases would be harmed more than we would
like.

Lets say you have a 5 node cluster where 3 of the nodes are behind the
same router and the remaining 2 are behind a different one.  If the
router crashes, power loss etc. for the 3 and are no longer
addressable you have your 2 partitions (possibly 1 or even 4).  When
this occurs the other 2 nodes would go into read only mode since they
lost the quorum check.  But the 3 nodes that are "writable" can't be
accessed any longer and thus no writes can be performed on the
cluster.  It seems we would still want to allow writes to provide as
high of availability as possible.

Also if we did have read only, what criteria would cause those nodes
to be writeable again?  There is no guarantee when the other nodes
will ever come back up or if there will ever be additional ones
anytime soon.

 - Will