[infinispan-dev] JGRP-1317 and large clusters

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 10:15:59 EDT 2013

FYI,

if you're running large clusters, you might be interested to know that I
implemented another optimization: JGRP-1317 [1].

The effect of it is that (in decreasing order of importance):

- Regular view messages to existing members don't carry a digest any
longer. This is a significant size reduction, as a digest has 2 longs
per member (although compressed for network transmission)

- Where we have a view and a digest (e.g. JoinRsp, merge response,
MergeView), the digest's 'members' field and the view's 'members' field
point to the same memory location

- When we send such an object across the network, the 'members' field is
only marshalled once, leading to smaller messages

Next up, I'm going to tackle [2] which will reduce the size of view
messages even further: instead of sending the *full view* every time, we
only send delta views. I believe JGRP-1317 and JGRP-1354 will have a
huge impact on systems with a large number of nodes.

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JGRP-1317
[2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JGRP-1354

--
Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)