[infinispan-dev] Read Committed Distributed Cache Concerns

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Sun Sep 22 08:22:23 EDT 2013

> On 21 Sep 2013, at 23:07, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at infinispan.org> wrote:
>
>> On 19 September 2013 18:29, Mircea Markus <mmarkus at redhat.com> wrote:
>> (Adding Jonathan who knows a thing or two about transactions.)
>>
>> Given that READ_COMMITTED (RC) is less performant than REPEATABLE_READ (RR)
>> I don't see any value in keeping RC around. I don't think users rely on
>> exact RC semantics (i.e. if an entry has been committed then an ongoing
>> tx requires the most up 2 date value between reads) - that actually
>> is not the case with DIST caches as you've mentioned.
>
> I don't think you can generalize from the specific example William
> made;

William was reffering to the general case.

> there will still be cases in which READ_COMMITTED will be more
> efficient than REPEATABLE_READ,

Looking at the implementation, (also as described by William) RC is't faster than RR in the general case. Curious why you think it would be though.

> especially if you avoid "fixing" this, as suggested by Radim and
> myself in the two previous emails [not sure you if saw them, since you
> forking the conversation ignoring those mails]:
> if we agree that the current semantics is acceptable, it will
> consistently be faster than REPEATABLE_READ.

Radim's suggestion was to drop RC after running some tests to validate that RR provides the same performance. You +1 that so I don't understand why you say the conversation was forked.