[infinispan-dev] Feature requests for 7.0

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 16:41:19 EDT 2014

Hi Paul

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Paul Ferraro <paul.ferraro at redhat.com>
wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have created a number of requests for features that I'd like to be
> able to leverage for WildFly 9/10.  Can the appropriate component
> owners
> (which I think is Dan in all cases) comment on the following issues?
>
> The following issues prevent WF from leveraging Infinispan expiration:
> * Expiration events from cache store
>   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3064

You'd probably need expiration events for in-memory entries first:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-694

This has been in discussion for a while, but I'm not sure it will make
it into 7.0. It may require expiration to be coupled with eviction, to
avoid duplicate expiration events. (I'm sure Sanne would be happy about
this, because we would stop checking if the entry is expired on every
access.)

> * Group-based expiration
>   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-2916

There is a reasonable workaround for this, or at least there will be
once we have expiration events: only make one entry mortal, and use its
expiration listener to remove all the other entries in the group.

> Now that Infinispan eviction is safe for use by transactional caches,

Funny, I was just looking at the Cache.evict() javadoc and it seems we
haven't removed this line yet:

    Important: this method should not be called from within a
transaction scope.

> there remain a few issues complicating the ability for WF to fully
> leverage the eviction manager for passivation:
> * Group-based eviction
>   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-4132

TBH I think storing the session as a DeltaAware would be a better fit
for this requirement. Either way, I don't think it will make it into
7.0.

> * Clustered eviction (this one is really only an inconvenience for
> those
> of us using manual eviction since I can't use infinispan eviction)
>   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-4134

I don't see this as a priority, you could just invoke a distributed
task that calls cache.evict(k) on each node. Internally, we'd probably
use a command, but the effect would be the same.

> Optimizations:
> * Enumerate cache keys for group
>   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3900

I think Mircea already had a chat with Davide about implementing this
in Infinispan. However, I don't see a lot of scope for optimizations
over what you have already implemented for sessions.

> * Unloadable Key2StringMapper
>   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3979

This sounds like a bug more than a feature request, it should
definitely be included in 7.0.