[infinispan-dev] DIST-SYNC, put(), a problem and a solution

Erik Salter an1310 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 16:32:21 EDT 2014

Hi Sanne,

So I guess I'm one of the five.  This particular issue has been happening
over and over again in my production environment.  It is a performance and
availability killer, since any sort of network blip will result in these
lock scenarios.  And network blips in my data center environment are very
real and surprisingly common.  In the past 5-6 weeks, we've had 3
redundant routers fail. The best thing that could happen is lock
contention.

Almost any sort of MERGE event will result in "stale" locks -- locks that
are never released by the system.  Now consider that I can't throw more
threads at the problem.  I have 1100 OOB + ISPN threads available per
cluster.

So what I've hacked in production is something that basically examines the
LockManager (and TxTable) and manages locks that are > 5x lock acquisition
time old.  If I don't, then I start getting user threads and OOB threads
backed up, and it's surprising how quickly these pools can exhaust.
Nowhere near a scalable and elastic solution, but desperate times and all
that.

I can't agree more that any solution must take NBST into consideration,
especially WRT pessimistic locks.

Regards,

Erik