[infinispan-dev] Caches need be stopped in a specific order to respect cross-cache dependencies

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 03:26:25 EDT 2014

On 15 Aug 2014, at 15:55, Dan Berindei <dan.berindei at gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks to me like you actually want a partial order between caches on shutdown, so why not declare an explicit dependency (e.g. manager.stopOrder(before, after)? We could even throw an exception if the user tries to stop a cache manually in the wrong order (e.g. TestingUtil.killCacheManagers).
>
> Alternatively, we could add an event CacheManagerStopEvent(pre=true) at the cache manager level that is invoked before any cache is stopped, and you could close all the indexes in that listener. The event could even be at the cache level, if it would make things easier.

Not sure you need the listener event since we already have lifecycle event callbacks for external modules.

IOW, couldn’t you do this cache stop ordering with an implementation of org.infinispan.lifecycle.ModuleLifecycle? On cacheStarting, you could maybe track each started cache and give it a priority, and then on cacheManagerStopping use that priority to close caches. Note: I’ve not tested this and I don’t know if the callbacks happen at the right time to allow this. Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,