[infinispan-dev] reusing infinispan's marshalling

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Wed Feb 5 09:15:41 EST 2014

One way to do it is use a  distributed cache with two different marshallers: JBMAR and protostream. Admittedly this won't measure only the serialisation performance, but include other stuff as well, such as network time (I guess you can remove this from the result though).
This way we would get a better understanding on how the two marshaller affects performance of the system as a whole. Also if using radargun, you could get more info around how much CPU time is used by each scenario.

On Jan 30, 2014, at 12:13 PM, Adrian Nistor <anistor at redhat.com> wrote:

> I've been pondering about re-using the marshalling machinery of
> Infinispan in another project, specifically in ProtoStream, where I'm
> planning to add it as a test scoped dependency so I can create a
> benchmark  to compare marshalling performace. I'm basically interested
> in comparing ProtoStream and Infinispan's JBoss Marshalling based
> mechanism. Comparing against plain JBMAR, without using the
> ExternalizerTable and Externalizers introduced by Infinispan is not
> going to get me accurate results.

Mircea Markus
Infinispan lead (www.infinispan.org)