[infinispan-dev] infinispan-bom vs. infinispan-parent dependencies

Martin Gencur mgencur at redhat.com
Thu Feb 6 04:52:37 EST 2014

Hi,
there are currently two Maven pom files in Infinispan where dependency
versions are defined - infinispan-bom and infinispan-parent. For
instance, version.protostream is defined in the BOM while
version.commons.pool is defined in infinispan-parent.

This causes me troubles when I want to do filtering with
maven-resources-plugin and substitute versions of dependencies in
certain configuration file because properties defined in the BOM are not
visible to other modules (I'm currently trying to generate "features"
file for HotRod to be easily deployable into Karaf -
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3967, and I can't really access
versions of some dependencies)

We include the BOM file in infinispan-parent as a dependency with scope
"import" which causes the properties defined in the BOM to be lost.

Questions:
Is there a reason why we include it as a dependency and do not have it
as a parent of infinispan-parent? (as suggested in [1])
Can someone explain the reason why we have version declarations in two
separate files?
If you possibly know how to access properties in the BOM, please advise.
To me it seems impossible without some nasty hacks.

Thanks,
Martin

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html