[infinispan-dev] Dropping AtomicMap/FineGrainedAtomicMap

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon Feb 10 03:51:59 EST 2014

On 20 Jan 2014, at 12:32, Pedro Ruivo <pedro at infinispan.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 01/20/2014 11:28 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Dropping AtomicMap and FineGrainedAtomicMap was discussed last week in the F2F meeting [1]. It's complex and buggy, and we'd recommend people to use the Grouping API instead [2]. Grouping API would allow data to reside together, while the standard map API would apply per-key locking.
>
> +1. are we going to dropping the Delta stuff?

The delta would be the k/v pair.

Say you are storing HTTP sessions. With AMs, the key would be the session ID and all its attributes would be stored in the atomic map. Once you remove that, each session’s attributes is a single k/v pair in the cache, so that’s your delta.

>> We don't have a timeline for this yet, but we want to get as much feedback on the topic as possible so that we can evaluate the options.
>
> before starting with it, I would recommend to add the following method
> to cache API:
>
> /**
>  * returns all the keys and values associated with the group name. The
> Map<K, V> is immutable (i.e. read-only)
>  **/
> Map<K, V> getGroup(String groupName);

Yes, I think we’d need this for grouping to be able have a full replacement for atomic maps. You need a way to retrieve all the data associated with that group without the to iterate the cache yourself, or the need to add indexing.

In the case of HTTP sessions, you’d give the session ID as key and it’d give you a map view of all the attributes associated with that session.

Cheers,