[infinispan-dev] Dropping AtomicMap/FineGrainedAtomicMap

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Mon Feb 10 04:57:51 EST 2014

On 10 February 2014 09:02, Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2014, at 11:27, Dan Berindei <dan.berindei at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think it's way too early to discuss removing FineGrainedAtomicMap and AtomicMap, as long as we don't have a concrete alternative with similar properties.
>
> You have a point there, but we can’t ignore the feedback that says that atomic maps are not being used because they are buggy, and instead they are using grouping.

Let's not generalize too much, some are still doing the opposite and
have commented on their good reasons ;-)

> Deeply, I think we have two ways of doing the same thing, which is confusing from my POV, and one of them is not being used enough, or we’re not fixing the stuff there.

+1 but since as you say there is confusion, I'm not sure if they
really are the same thing. I've asked for a detailed comparison but
the discussion derailed. It would probably help a lot if someone from
the Infinispan core team would reimplement the FGAM API on top of
Grouping, making sure to guarantee the same semantics also in terms of
concurrency, isolation and acidity.
That would provide the implementation cleanup you'd all love, a
migration path, and probably some deeper considerations on their
differences; I also suspect there would be some roadblocks,
potentially subtle differences which could then be better documented?

> Regardless of whether it’s too early or not, this email is trying to spark a consolidation of the two technologies into a single solution that works for everyone and we maintained it actively :)
>
>> Cache.getGroup(groupName) is just a method name at this point, we don't have any idea how it will compare to AtomicMap/FineGrainedAtomicMap from a transaction isolation or performance perspective. BTW, do we really need the group name to be a String?
>>
>> A good way to prove that the grouping API is a proper replacement for the atomic maps would be to replace the usage of atomic maps in the Tree module with the grouping API. Unless we plan to drop the Tree module completely…
>
> Tree was only ever meant as a bridge for JBC users to move to Infinispan. Paul F et al tried to build HTTP sessions on top of that, it didn’t work. Then they tried to do it on top of Atomic Maps, and it didn’t work either, and finally they’re using grouping and seems to work?

I don't think that proves that Atomic Maps where not working, if any
it's a statement that grouping is a better fit for this specific use
case?
BTW having a use case which matches way better that the other just
highlights that this is no duplicate functionality, but rather quite
different stuff.

>From an Hibernate OGM perspective it would be great to have some more
stability in not so old APIs, at least until there's a clearly
documented migration to grouping.

Sanne