[infinispan-dev] Design change in Infinispan Query

Adrian Nistor anistor at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 07:02:03 EST 2014

Well, OGM and Infinispan are different species :) So, Infinispan being
what it is today - a non-homogenous, schema-less KV store, without
support for entity associations (except embedding) - which simplifies
the whole thing a lot, should we or should we not provide transparent
cross-cacheManager search capabilities, in this exact context? Vote?

There were some points raised previously like /"if you search for more
than one cache transparently, then you probably need to CRUD for more
than one cache transparently as well"/. In the SQL world you would also
probably CRUD against a table or set of tables and then query against a
view - a bit like what we're doing here. I don't see any problem with
this in principle. There is however something currently missing in the
query result set API - it currently does not provide you the keys of the
matching entities. People work around this by storing the key in the
entity.  Now with the addition of the cross-cacheManager search we'll
probably need to fix the result api  and also provide a reference to the
cache (or just the name?) where the entity is stored.

The (enforced) one entity type per cache rule is not conceptually or
technically required for implementing this, so I won't start raving
against it :)  Sane users should apply it however.