[infinispan-dev] Design change in Infinispan Query

Adrian Nistor anistor at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 09:33:00 EST 2014

On 02/26/2014 04:20 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2014, at 2:13 PM, Dan Berindei <dan.berindei at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Mircea Markus <mmarkus at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 25, 2014, at 5:08 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at infinispan.org> wrote:
>>
>>> There also is the opposite problem to be considered, as Emmanuel
>>> suggested on 11/04/2012:
>>> you can't forbid the user to store the same object (same type and same
>>> id) in two different caches, where each Cache might be using different
>>> indexing options.
>>>
>>> If the "search service" is a global concept, and you run a query which
>>> matches object X, we'll return it to the user but he won't be able to
>>> figure out from which cache it's being sourced: is that ok?
>> Can't the user figure that out based on the way the query is built?
>> I mean the problem is similar with the databases: if address is both a table and an column in the USER table, then it's the query (select) that determines where from the address is returned.
>>
>> You mean the user should specify the cache name(s) when building the query?
> yes
Let's say multiple caches are specified when building the query. How can
I tell (with current result api) where does the matching entity come
from? I still think we should extend the result api in order to provide:
1. the key of the entity, 2. the name of the originating cache.  The old
result api that just gives you an Iterator<Object> over the matches
should continue to exist because it's more efficient for the cases when
the user does not need #1 and #2.