[infinispan-dev] Musings on ISPN/JGRPs OSI transport choices and ambitions

cotton-ben ben.cotton at ALUMNI.RUTGERS.EDU
Fri Feb 28 13:16:24 EST 2014

Hi Mircea, Manik, Bela, et. al.

I want to more publicly muse on this SUBJ line.  Here now, then maybe in
ISPN /user/ forum, then maybe JSR-347 provider wide.  I know we had a
semi-private (Bela led) exchange, but I want to be more public with this
conversation.

Long post again.  sorry.

This is just on open musing.  I realize this musing should not expect to be
accommodated by any "oh, we got to do this in ISPN/JGRPs now!" repsonse ...
there is absolutely only the most infrequent use-case that would /today/ be
served by addressing this musing ... but tomorrow that /will/ be a different
story.

Questions::

Does the concept of ISPN/JGRPs  transport between "Cluster" nodes currently
depend on OSI transport layer sockets' participation(s)?

In other words, if all the nodes on my "Cluster" have locality=127.0.0.1  is
ISPN/JGRPs  accommodating  enough to use a native OS IPC choice as an
intra-node transport?

Or, is it true that my transport choices are always limited to just
{TCP,UDP} --  independent of the participating nodes' locality (and that I
am thus forced to go over an OSI loopback)?

If my transport choices are only limited to {TCP,UDP} for all node locality,
then I might ask that you consider additional upcoming modern Java transport
options.

 With the ambitions of upcoming OpenJDK JEPs,  that will make mainstream an
API capabilty that today is only available via sun.misc.Unsafe, Java will
soon have "more complete" transport options that will include all of

 { TCP, UDP,  RDMA/SDP,   IPC }

Some examples of upcoming accommodating providers=

1.  RDMA/SDP: via  Infiniband VERBS (works today in JDK 7 on OSI physical
layer IB NICs, does not work over Ethernet)
2.  IPC via OpenHFT' SHM as IPC solution (will work this year)

Again, I realize that these transport choices are useful today only  in a
very rare use case.  However, should these transports be in your offering to
ISPN/JGRPs customers, then ISPN/JGRPs becomes   -- like all of Java has
become in recent years --  increasingly more attractive to /all/ HPC Linux
supercomputing use cases (not just ours).