[infinispan-dev] Infinispan embedded off-heap cache

cotton-ben ben.cotton at ALUMNI.RUTGERS.EDU
Wed Jan 15 05:54:24 EST 2014

Hi Yavuz, Tristan, et. al.

I am extremely interested to learn if anything materialized from the
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-871 effort.

If nothing materialized, I would like to take a stab at doing this,
specifically by doing the following:

0.  Use Peter Lawrey's openHFT HugeCollections project
(https://github.com/OpenHFT/HugeCollections) as the  off-Heap Cache
implementation provider.

1.  Start with Peter's net.openhft.collections.HugeHashMap<K,V>
implementation Class as a highly optimized off-Heap basis and a potential
Cache<K,V> candidate

2.  Confirm from ISPN-dev team that the ambition to use
org.infinispan.container.DataContainer interface as a bridge to provide
potential  non-ISPN built  CacheImpl<K,V> candidates is sound/complete (and
intended)

3.  Modify HugheHashMap<K,V> so that it explicitly implements
org.infinispan.container.DataContainer interface.

4.  Confirm that modified my net.openhft.collections..HugeHashMap<K,V> can
interoperate with the full ISPN 5.3/6.x APIs, exactly as if it were a
default ISPN-provided org.infinispan.CacheImpl<K,V>

Could any one from the ISPN-dev team comment if this ambition has merit and
a liklihood of "working" as outlined above (effectively resuming the work
started at https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-871)?  Is there any in-place
ISPN documentation that advocates the use of DataContainer for taking on
this type of effort?

Thanks,
Ben