[infinispan-dev] Integration between HotRod and OGM

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Tue Jan 21 11:08:57 EST 2014

Hi Mircea,
could you explain how Grouping is different than AtomicMaps ?
I understand you're all suggesting to move to AtomicMaps as "the
implementation is better" but is that an implementation detail, or how
is it inherently different so that we can build something more
reliable on it?

>From the limited knowledge I have in this area, I have been assuming -
since they have very similar properties - that this was essentially a
different syntax to get to the same semantics but obviously I'm wrong.

It would be especially helpfull to have a clear comparison on the
different semantics in terms of transactions, atomicity and visibility
of state across the three kinds: AtomicMaps, FineGrainedAtomicMaps,
Grouping.

Let's also keep in mind that Hibernate OGM uses a carefully selected
combination of *both* AtomicMap and FGAM instances - depending on the
desired semantics we want to achieve, so since those two where clearly
different and we actually build on those differences - I'm not seeing
how we could migrate two different things to the same construct
without having to move "fishy locking details" out of Infinispan but
in OGM, and I wouldn't be too happy with that as such logic would
belong in Infinispan to provide.

- Sanne